The Blog: Expedition to Vietnam

I invite you to join me as virtual members of a scientific expedition to Vietnam! I have been awarded a fellowship from the Earthwatch Institute to study butterflies in the tropical forests of Northern Vietnam. Check out the Butterflies of Vietnam Expedition website to find out more!

During the week of May 14-18, I will be in the Tam Dao National Park in Vietnam capturing, documenting, and studying butterflies. I will hold two live classes via a satelite phone. In addition, you will be able to follow my progress and ask me questions on a daily basis using the blog below.

The blog on this website has been created in order to allow Mr. Bucs' students, friends, and community to share in his experience in Vietnam. Please focus your comments and questions on the expedition.

Slideshow: Butterflies of Vietnam

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Water Puppets


While I was in Hanoi, I went to see the "water puppets." Water puppets are a traditional art form which was originated in Northern Vietnam. I was amazed by the performance! I've never seen anything quite like it. "Modern, water puppetry is performed in a pool of water with the water surface being the stage. The puppeteers stand behind a screen and control the puppets using long bamboo rods and string mechanism hidden beneath the water surface. The puppets are carved out of wood and often weigh up to 15 kg. A traditional Vietnamese orchestra provides background music accompaniment. Singers of Cheo (a form of opera) with origin in north Vietnam sing songs which tell the story being acted out by the puppets." The show consists of a series of skits based on rural themes and stories from the Red River Region (Northern Vietnam).

No comments: