The Blog: Expedition to Vietnam

I invite you to join me as virtual members of a scientific expedition to Vietnam! I have been awarded a fellowship from the Earthwatch Institute to study butterflies in the tropical forests of Northern Vietnam. Check out the Butterflies of Vietnam Expedition website to find out more!

During the week of May 14-18, I will be in the Tam Dao National Park in Vietnam capturing, documenting, and studying butterflies. I will hold two live classes via a satelite phone. In addition, you will be able to follow my progress and ask me questions on a daily basis using the blog below.

The blog on this website has been created in order to allow Mr. Bucs' students, friends, and community to share in his experience in Vietnam. Please focus your comments and questions on the expedition.

Slideshow: Butterflies of Vietnam

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Road Transect: Our Research Begins


(click on image to enlarge)

Today we began the process of collecting data on the butterflies of Tam Dao. I was amazed to learn that there are 360 species of butterflies here in the tropical mountain forest of Tam Dao. Do you know how many species live in the Western Massachusetts area? I don’t, but I suspect it’s not even close to 360. Could someone please find out for me and post it to my blog? I’m really curious I you do find out. I’d also like to know your hypothesis as the why there is a difference. What is different about the two habitats which accounts for the differences in the diversity of species?


As I was saying, today we began the process of collecting data on butterflies which reside on the "road transect," which is a designated area that runs along a road going up the mountain. This area is characterized by a road which is bordered by patches of forest, open spaces, and small farms.


Every time we saw a particular species on the list we made a mark to the right of the name on a chart. I had no idea what I was observing at first. I’m not familiar enough with the butterflies to make identifications. They rarely sit down on a leaf and let you gaze at them while you look them up in the field guide. We really need the expertise of our guides to make identifications. We’re just learning, and that’s what makes it so fun!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We think there are more species of butterflies in Vietnam because there is a rainforest there, it's warmer, they don't have a cold winter like ours, and there is less polution.

What do Vietnamese children do for fun?? sports? skateboarding?

Are there any really huge bugs there?

7K White Brook Middle School

Anonymous said...

There are 103 species of butterflies in Massachusetts, not sure how many in Western Mass (Mass Audubon).

Do the Vietnamese ladies squeeze your fat to see how rich you are?

Have you seen butterflies mating?

8L White Brook Middle School

Jeff Bucs said...

Hi,
I didn't see a picture or a graph, just so you know.

Are you in an actual rainforest or is it just a tropical forest. Does the difference have to do with the amount of rainfall?

Thanks,
Prof. Bucs (Your wife)

Anonymous said...

hi!
i checked on line with the massachusetts butterfly club...
there are approximately 125 different species in mass. and there are 8 on the endangered species list...hope this is helpful!
ch

Jeff Bucs said...

7K,

You are partially right! The warm weather of this subtropical evergreen rain forest is warm enough that vegetation can grow all year long. The key is in the vegetation. Butterflies eat plants. Specific species of butterflies eat specific plants. The more the diverse the plant choices are, the more diverse the butterfly population is. Furthermore, there is even greater diversity up here in the north than in the south of Vietnam. There are four seasons (not like ours - it doesn't snow and the lowest temperatures are 5 degrees Celsius). The varied temperatures leads to more variety in vegetation. There are larger numbers of rare species up north - particularly in Tam Dao. The amount of rain fall per year also contributes the ability of plants to flourish in this habitat.

There is a great diversity of insects here and a lot of food for them, therefore there are all sizes of insects and spiders including rather large ones.

The children play soccer, an interesting form of hackie sac, and ride there motor bikes around town.

Hillary,

Tam Dao is considered a rain forest because of the amount of rain fall and how often and how consistently it rains. Technically, it is considered a tropical evergreen mountain rain forest.

I upload the picture when I get to Hanoi. Technical difficulties.

8L,

Thanks for the info on the diversity of butterflies in Massachusetts. Tam Dao is about 50 square miles and has 360 species. Massachusetts is much larger and has less. Read my comments to 7K above to see why.

I have seen butterflies fighting over territory but not mating.

Yes, a woman pinched my fat at the market. She seemed to think I had some money so I better go on a diet when I get back home.

I wonder why there are 8 butterflies in Massachusetts on the endangered species list. Any ideas? What does a butterfly need to survive? What have we learned so far about Tam Dao - what is the probable cause of the threat to these species in Mass?