The Blog: Expedition to Vietnam

I invite you to join me as virtual members of a scientific expedition to Vietnam! I have been awarded a fellowship from the Earthwatch Institute to study butterflies in the tropical forests of Northern Vietnam. Check out the Butterflies of Vietnam Expedition website to find out more!

During the week of May 14-18, I will be in the Tam Dao National Park in Vietnam capturing, documenting, and studying butterflies. I will hold two live classes via a satelite phone. In addition, you will be able to follow my progress and ask me questions on a daily basis using the blog below.

The blog on this website has been created in order to allow Mr. Bucs' students, friends, and community to share in his experience in Vietnam. Please focus your comments and questions on the expedition.

Slideshow: Butterflies of Vietnam

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Field Questions

I intend on going to Vietnam with some questions from my students. I will post all student questions and my answers at field questions. To see the questions my students sent me to Vietnam with, click on the "comments" button below.

To my students: Thank you for your awsome questions!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Questions from 7K at White Brook Middle School:

1.Is the food unusual and do they eat butterflies?
2.Is global warming contributing to the butterfies’ deaths?

Anonymous said...

Questions from 8M at White Brook Middle School:

1.What animals do you see besides butterflies?
2. How many butterflies did you record so far?

Anonymous said...

Questions from 8L at White Brook Middle School:

1. Does elevation affect the butterflies in any way?
2. What’s the strangest experience you’ve had with the people there so far?

Anonymous said...

Questions from 7J at White Brook Middle School:

1. What other animals are you encountering?
2. How is the food? What is it like?

Jeff Bucs said...

7K,
1. I have not eaten anything too unusual yet. I have eaten some things which I've never eaten before such as the choyote vegetable. It's grown all over Tam Dao and it's quite good steamed.
2. For the answer to the question on global warming I will direct you to my blog on global warming. Global warming does seem to have an affect on the butterflies. Please read ahead.

Jeff Bucs said...

8L,

1. Elevation seems to play a role in regards to the temperature certain butterfly species prefer.Please read ahead to my blog on global warming for more on this.
2.I'm not sure if I've had any really strange encounters here so far. I can't think of any off hand. If I think of one I will let you know. A woman did pinch my belly at the market. Apparently, they do this to see if you're rich. Chubby people have money to eat more - I suppose she thought I had a little cash on me.

Jeff Bucs said...

8M,

1.I've seen spiders and insects. There are lots of dogs and chickens around. I saw two birds. I haven't seen any mammals in the forest. Apparently, they're scared of the people of Tam Dao who often hunt them. The monkeys, deer, and bear have migrated north.
2. We've recorded 17 species and 87 butterflies so far.

Jeff Bucs said...

7J,

1.The food is great and there's alot of it.
2. For answers to both of these questions read my responses on this page.