The Blog: Expedition to Vietnam

I invite you to join me as virtual members of a scientific expedition to Vietnam! I have been awarded a fellowship from the Earthwatch Institute to study butterflies in the tropical forests of Northern Vietnam. Check out the Butterflies of Vietnam Expedition website to find out more!

During the week of May 14-18, I will be in the Tam Dao National Park in Vietnam capturing, documenting, and studying butterflies. I will hold two live classes via a satelite phone. In addition, you will be able to follow my progress and ask me questions on a daily basis using the blog below.

The blog on this website has been created in order to allow Mr. Bucs' students, friends, and community to share in his experience in Vietnam. Please focus your comments and questions on the expedition.

Slideshow: Butterflies of Vietnam

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Visit to the Tam Dao Public School


Today we visited the local public school. Outside the school were signs which said, "clean," "beautiful," and "green." We got a chance to peek into a couple of the class rooms (see the picture above: standard size of all the classrooms). What do you think? Makes our classrooms look rather roomy in comparison. I believe that having my experience in Vietnam will help me appreciate the material blessings I often take for granted back in the United States. Vietnam is a very poor country, and people seem to manage from day to day without the modern conveniences I am used to having.
We sat down with the Vice Principal who poured each of us a cup of very strong green tea and told us all about the school. The school serves first to ninth graders. The elementary school students go to school all day, but the sixth through ninth graders only go to school in the morning. Now before you start thinking that the Tam Dao students have it easy, consider this! The older students don’t go to school in the afternoon because there are not enough teachers. In addition, when they get to tenth grade they have to move to another town and live there while they complete high school and they have to pay for it.
Teachers here don’t have it so easy either! Some of them travel so far that they have to live at the school. They aren’t paid very either. For instance, the music teacher makes the equivalent of $30 per month.
It was a great experience visiting this school and learning about the similarities and differences between Vietnamese and U.S. schools. For example, something they have in common with my students is that they are presently studying for a big "state exam." Good luck on the MCAS, guys!!!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I am so jealous....what a great opportunity you had to visit this school. There is nothing like firsthand experience, makes things much more a reality.

I hope other groups of teachers get to do this, I can't think of a better way to become acquainted with local culture.

Awesome post. Thanks.