The Blog: Expedition to Vietnam

I invite you to join me as virtual members of a scientific expedition to Vietnam! I have been awarded a fellowship from the Earthwatch Institute to study butterflies in the tropical forests of Northern Vietnam. Check out the Butterflies of Vietnam Expedition website to find out more!

During the week of May 14-18, I will be in the Tam Dao National Park in Vietnam capturing, documenting, and studying butterflies. I will hold two live classes via a satelite phone. In addition, you will be able to follow my progress and ask me questions on a daily basis using the blog below.

The blog on this website has been created in order to allow Mr. Bucs' students, friends, and community to share in his experience in Vietnam. Please focus your comments and questions on the expedition.

Slideshow: Butterflies of Vietnam

Monday, May 14, 2007

Boy or Girl Butterfly?


Believe it or not, you can tell the difference between a male or female butterfly in much the same way you would with a mammal. This is female Euploea mulciber. They can also be distinguished from the male by their wings, which are less colorful than the male (males have blue markings on their wings).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How big do the butterflies get? Are males or females bigger?

Jeff Bucs said...

Butterflies are all different sizes. The smallest ones we've seen are called "skippers" because they fly in short spurts from plant to plant very close to the ground as if they are skipping like a stone across the water. Males are more colorful, but I'm not sure if they are always bigger. I will ask Lien. He will know.