The Blog: Expedition to Vietnam

I invite you to join me as virtual members of a scientific expedition to Vietnam! I have been awarded a fellowship from the Earthwatch Institute to study butterflies in the tropical forests of Northern Vietnam. Check out the Butterflies of Vietnam Expedition website to find out more!

During the week of May 14-18, I will be in the Tam Dao National Park in Vietnam capturing, documenting, and studying butterflies. I will hold two live classes via a satelite phone. In addition, you will be able to follow my progress and ask me questions on a daily basis using the blog below.

The blog on this website has been created in order to allow Mr. Bucs' students, friends, and community to share in his experience in Vietnam. Please focus your comments and questions on the expedition.

Slideshow: Butterflies of Vietnam

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Dragon and the Fairy


There is a myth in this area of Vietnam that goes a little like this. There once lived a dragon and a fairy who had 100 children. There were fifty sons and fifty daughters. The sons went to the sea and the daughters went to the forest. Each daughter had a temple. The temple I visited today is believed to be one of these daughter temples.
In order to get to the temple we had to climb a large flight of stairs through a bamboo forest. Once we got to the top we were invited into the temple to join in the worship services. There were two temple rooms where many people were sitting cross-legged and praying. In one of the rooms there was a person completely covered in a red blanket. He had some books (probably some form of sacred text) on his head and he was swaying back and forth. I say "he" when actually I could not tell if the person was a "he" or a "she" since he or she was covered from head to toe in a blanket. The worshippers were swaying back and forth with the blanketed figure. A man was reading something out of a book and occasionally the worshippers would chant in response.
I have since learned that he/she is a member of a select group of people who locals believe can "talk to the dead." These select individuals meditate all day and go into a "trance" for two or three days. During the trance these "channelers" can talk to the ancestors and impart great wisdom to the members of the temple.
I felt a little out of place at this worship service, but the worshippers appeared to be very accepting of my presence or at least to tolerate my short visit. Later, I made the mistake of taking a picture of one of the shrines. Immediately after snapping the shot, I heard some women scolding me in Vietnamese. Whoops! I didn’t know one was not supposed to photograph the temple. You live and you learn. I’ll be sure to ask next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you believe that those people can really talk to the dead?

Jeff Bucs said...

To tell you the truth, I'm not completely sure what I believe. I suppose all that matters is that they believe it.