The Blog: Expedition to Vietnam

I invite you to join me as virtual members of a scientific expedition to Vietnam! I have been awarded a fellowship from the Earthwatch Institute to study butterflies in the tropical forests of Northern Vietnam. Check out the Butterflies of Vietnam Expedition website to find out more!

During the week of May 14-18, I will be in the Tam Dao National Park in Vietnam capturing, documenting, and studying butterflies. I will hold two live classes via a satelite phone. In addition, you will be able to follow my progress and ask me questions on a daily basis using the blog below.

The blog on this website has been created in order to allow Mr. Bucs' students, friends, and community to share in his experience in Vietnam. Please focus your comments and questions on the expedition.

Slideshow: Butterflies of Vietnam

Monday, May 14, 2007

The Team


We’ve got a great team! There are five volunteers. Bruce and Susan are environmentalist from Colorado who have traveled from Costa Rica to Borneo, Tibet to China, and all over South East Asia. Rachel is a fourth grade teacher from Washington State. Beth is a 7th grade Science Teacher from North Carolina. There are three Vietnamese guides. Lien is a scientist from Hanoi who knows all about butterflies (he’s the one in the picture in the hand out I gave you). Inh (pronounced Ein like in Einstein) is a retired professor from Hanoi. Viet is Lien’s brother. He teaches English in Hanoi. He is my roommate and has acted as my friend and guide since I arrived. I’m really enjoying getting to know everyone. We all enjoy traveling and care deeply about the environment. Even though some of us our teachers, this week we are all students. I am having a great time learning. For the record, I have not once been caught without my pencil and notebook! One cool thing is that there are no detentions. Above is a picture of Viet and Beth in front of the local public school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen any military or anyone else with guns?

How many different types of butterflies have you seen so far?

8M White Brook Middle School

Jeff Bucs said...

8M,

I have not seen any military. Believe it or not, the US is a much more violent country than Vietnam. There are very few violent crimes committed here. It is illegal to own guns. In the US most people have guns and can purchase assault rifles for no reason at all - think about the mass killing in Virginia last month. Things like that don't happen here. People remember the war with America but seem to have moved on. They are very interested in having a positive and productive relationship with the US.

We have seen over 50 species. I have not seen all of them - but I must have seen at least 30.