The Blog: Expedition to Vietnam

I invite you to join me as virtual members of a scientific expedition to Vietnam! I have been awarded a fellowship from the Earthwatch Institute to study butterflies in the tropical forests of Northern Vietnam. Check out the Butterflies of Vietnam Expedition website to find out more!

During the week of May 14-18, I will be in the Tam Dao National Park in Vietnam capturing, documenting, and studying butterflies. I will hold two live classes via a satelite phone. In addition, you will be able to follow my progress and ask me questions on a daily basis using the blog below.

The blog on this website has been created in order to allow Mr. Bucs' students, friends, and community to share in his experience in Vietnam. Please focus your comments and questions on the expedition.

Slideshow: Butterflies of Vietnam

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Centipede or Millipede?


What kind of arthropod is this? Hint: look at the number of legs on each body segment. This guy was about 10 inches long and about 2 centimeters wide. Don’t touch! This one bites.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

r u eating the same food every day?

r there poisionous butterflies?


7K whitebrook middle

Anonymous said...

Have you danced with any Vietnamese people? DO they dance different than us??

Is the spider still in your room? DO you know what species it is?

8L WBMS

Jeff Bucs said...

I have not danced with any Vietnamese people,but the young people do like to go out and dance. There are a lot of kareoke bars and dance clubs in town.

The spider is dead. He was killed by my roommate with hot water - he got a little too close for comfort. I don't know what species he is. I asked but they did not know. I took some video of him in hope of looking him up in a field guide later.

Jeff Bucs said...

7K,

I am eating relatively the same thing every day with little variations here and there. There are no poisonous butterflies that I know of, however, there are poisonous caterpillars. These caterpillars eat food plants which are toxic to their predators. The plants impart a toxicity to them. These caterpillars tend to have bright yellow markings which indicate to potential predators, "warning, I'm poisonous!"